Forums / Media / Websites

2,608 total conversations in 249 threads

+ New Thread

Cohost is going to shut down at end of 2024 (Tumblr alternative reblog site)

Last posted Sep 11, 2024 at 12:33AM EDT. Added Sep 10, 2024 at 11:34PM EDT
2 posts from 2 users

Cohost is a site I briefly mentioned as TUMBLR alternative for people who want the Reblog format and their art share art!

Well… Unfortunately the site is gonna shut down by the end of the year!

https://cohost.org/staff/post/7611443-cohost-to-shut-down

We have come to the decision to cease operations of cohost and anti software software club due to lack of funding and burnout. As of today, none of us are being paid for our labor1; all of our money in the bank, and any money coming in from people who buy our merch or don’t cancel cohost plus, is going towards servers and operations -- paying the bills so we can turn the lights off with as little disruption as possible.
cohost will become read-only on Tuesday, October 1st. At this time, we will make best-effort attempts to keep the servers online through the end of 2024.

This is making me sad! Seeing another Non-Corporated running social media gone with no advertisements neither algorithm
Especially after the whole Tumblr Censorship fiasco for the Apple-store and whatever the hell is even happening with Twitter right now!

And once again shows that those kind of sites won't succeed if people don't support them in the first place.

Last edited Sep 10, 2024 at 11:34PM EDT

Something needs to be done about this.

Also, I don't understand. Even though server capacities have skyrocketed in past 20 years, how come that having servers is still expensive?

O HAI! You must login or signup first!